Monday, June 7, 2010

Even My DVD Player is Tired.

This is the display on my DVD player.
It wasn't scrolling 'Cannot read DVD,' or 'Cannot play,' it just froze on: 'Cannot.'
Can't go on. Can't even fully say what exactly it cannot do, can only utter,'Cannot.'

Something must be going around.

Vanilla Berry Truffle Tea.
Some days, you just feel stuck. In a rut, in a routine, in your life, in your circles of friends. Stuck. In a room with no doors.

I look at the friendly face of the guy sitting across from me. It is my friend. He looks younger than his years, attractive, with a personality that is usually energetic, enthusiastic, upbeat. Today he seems a bit tired, forlorn. I wonder if he knows how much energy he is capable of bringing to a room - not everyone possesses the power to mobilize and motivate others.  He's in the biz too - he gets what I'm talking about, he knows the game, the hustle.

Shut it Down.
Adulthood has an incredible amount of ups and downs - childhood and adolescence was one roller coaster, but adulthood is quite another. Sometimes the madness leaves you wanting, at times, to put everything on 'Pause' while you take a break.

It happened recently. Too many people talking. Birds were chirping just a little too fervently. The music was playing too loud in every public place I entered. At one point I felt my ears ringing from - pressure? Stress? The constant popping from the pressure of hopping elevators in a high-rise building?

Perhaps it is time for a vacation in the boonies. Or Fiji. Or some city where there is no television and no cars. A beautiful beach, untouched by mass consumer culture.

While driving, I rolled up the windows because I couldn't stand the sound of the traffic whizzing by.  Lately the solace I find in the week is the morning run I take in the park on weekends.  I pound the dirt paths and the pavement, sweating, pushing through exhaustion, pain; it is through this run that I clear my head, undergo a piece of solitude paired with a cathartic experience of sorts that I cannot fully explain other than cite the support of endorphins.  This is what I have come to enjoy; this is what I look forward to all week; this is what gives me a mini escape from the demands from this world; from the chaos, the noise, the pandemonium.

Shut it down, everybody. Liz Lemon style.

Shut it down.