Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dear Paulo Coelho...Write Back! HAGS?

So I wrote a letter to Paulo Coelho.

In it, I detailed my account of the past several months, the soul-searching, the God-fearing, the toil and the emotional rollercoasters and plateaus of questioning your purpose and wondering how all the things in life have led you here.

He did not write me back. Not that I expected much. (But I had to at least give it a shot!) Here is the response I received:

Dear Melissa,
Thank you for your kind message. Concerning your inquiry, we thank you for your interest in Mr. Paulo Coelho and would like to inform you that due to scheduled appointments the writer is not able to answer personally.
If you wish, you may visit the author's internet page (http://www.paulocoelho.com.br/engl/index.html) where readers exchange their thoughts on Mr. Paulo Coelho's books, and this might help you find the answers you are looking for.
Sincerely,
Bettina Dungs
www.paulocoelho.com.br

First question that comes to mind: Who is Bettina Dungs? Does she know Paulo Coelho? Has she met him? Has she even read his books? What kind of name is Bettina? Or Dungs? Is that Brazilian? Sigh.

All things aside, I wonder if the writer gets inquiries from completely strangers so much that he casts them aside because he is, in fact, only a writer. He does not know me, does not know my family, my history, my personality. So no, Mr. Paulo Coelho, I don't need your input or your highly esteemed opinion on these matters of my life-altering decisions. I suppose I was looking to find and take them into consideration mainly for your thoughts regarding following a passion to work creatively.

But it's alright if you don't answer, because at least God knows me. I guess I just wanted some feedback, from one writer to another. Also, has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Pablo Picasso?  Must be the baldheadedness of creative minds.