Sunday, April 11, 2010

Going Against the Natural Order of Things.

I finished my session of improv class. It has been - a struggle, frankly, from start to finish.

My natural instincts tell me to sit back and watch someone else perform. They tell me not to get up on stage; I can feel my body and the core of my being having a visceral reaction - resisting, not wanting to be the center of attention. Yet I am still here; I have voluntarily put myself in a position of discomfort.
Crazy. Doesn't make any sense. For some reason my paths have led me here.

No pain, no gain, I suppose?

I won't know unless I try it. If there could be a mild version of cringing that happens internally, that's what I experienced. When you knowingly face adversity of some sort, or, get out of your comfort zone, it makes you feel nervous. Anxious, intimidated. A visibly discernible uphill battle looming before you.

People do that sometimes. Some people put you in an uncomfortable position, challenge you, or pressure you to be someone they can look up to. Others may dare you to make awkward conversation amidst moments of uneasiness.

Sometimes you can strike unlikely friendships that you'd never imagine coming into fruition, especially with personalities that stand in stark contrast to each other. Yet, somehow, it happens, defying expectations and logic.

I'd like to believe I'm the type of person to give things (and people) a chance, regardless of comfort level. That the impossible, and the unimaginable, are attainable.

Many things remain to be seen. Can't wait.

It's never too late to refute the natural order of things.