Sunday, June 29, 2008

The cloud that hangs over a certain second floor apartment

It's depressingly hot in my apartment. The kind of hot where the ceiling fans I've turned on and the windows I've opened up provide insufficient comfort for the second floor dwelling which has been my miserable home for the past ten and half months. It's not as unbearable as it was last weekend, with the air just horribly sweltering and the air breaking a hundred degrees before mid-day.

No, it's the kind where it's more subtle, not disgusting as you first walk in, but gradually you feel incredibly tired and lie down, proceed to take a nap, then wake up because it's hot and the only thing sucking the energy out of you is this discomfort which stealthily hangs its cloudy head over your second floor apartment.

I wash off my makeup using the water from the shower since next to NO FREAKING WATER is coming out of the bathroom sink. It's always something. With no make-up on, I grab my books and my laptop and seek refuge in a nearby coffeehouse across the street. As I walk down the steps and onto the sidewalk, instantly my body feels comfort, the cooler 79 degrees a world away from the cloudy karma of the space I've just left.

When you can't relax at home, it leaves you ill at ease. Pretty much all the time, but basically whenever you head back to your apartment, whenever you're there, well you get the picture. It makes for the crap festival that your mood is experiencing, which, if unresolved, unappeased, and unrelenting, may result in that huge prick at the coffeehouse with that gaping chip in their shoulder.

So I'm sitting here, at this coffeehouse (thank God for coffeehouses), checking apartment listings and venting off about the living space that is my apartment, steaming at the current state of things, trying to figure out how quickly and easily does a person's attitude change. There are so many circumstances that come into play. And to single one out would not identify a single overriding catalyst to these things. Man, the circumstances which can change a person.

Sometimes you just have to get out of your apartment.