Thursday, August 7, 2008

Are there no happy renters in Los Angeles?

Recovering
Huge blow to the apartment search yesterday. I'm still recovering. I don't even know if I can fully express how stunned and disappointed and pissed I was (and still am) after waiting for my roommates who were twenty minutes late and finding that the apartment we were about to look at and literally steps away from had been rented out ten minutes earlier. I know.
Stunned. Upsetting. Still stunned and upset and disappointed. I could say crushed, deflated, crestfallen. I don't even know which to express anymore. I'm drained. Disappointment can be catastrophic to morale.

Revisiting the road of living by myself and paying a ridiculous amount of rent for that possibility.

Are there no happy renters in Los Angeles ?
I've already found that most people in the greater Los Angeles area, aren't truly happy with the apartment that they're living in. A quick look at apartmentratings.com (and chatting with any renter you know) quickly reveals the truth of the matter. Sloppy paint jobs, incompetent and unreliable management, and a slew of roommate issues to sort through or put up with until one leaves in lieu of life-changing events (marriage, profession, purchasing property, family events). Noisy pets, traffic, and gardeners, cantankerous neighbors, leaking water in adjacent alleys, pervasive aromas from nearby businesses.

And parking! You know how hard it is to find an apartment with parking?!