Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Orange marmalade.

I'm sitting in my parents' house, in the bedroom which I slept in mainly during breaks between semesters at college.

The walls are an orange marmalade - painted after a semester abroad in Barcelona over Christmas break, the first one I had spent there since my family had moved.  The walls were previously a pastel pink, a color which I couldn't stand.  Being surrounded by four walls of pink felt smothering.  It reminded me of Pepto-Bismol - the thick, heavy slab of pink in the plastic bottle.  I elicited the help of my effervescent best friend and we got to work.

There are a few splotch marks where the paint had splashed, marring the white ceiling.  I never bothered fixing it - it is the botched brushstroke of an overzealous twenty-one year old.  I kind of like it.

I walk into the ensuite bathroom.  There are no towels in there, no soap.  I clearly don't spend much time in this room, this bathroom, this house.  Nor does anyone.  I don't live here anymore.  I'm a grown ass woman, a friend once said to me.

I love coffee.  These days, Dunkin' Donuts Original Blend is my brew of choice.  I pull open the pantry in the kitchen and I see two bags of coffee.  One is nearly empty, the other looks at least a year old.  I sigh.  Well, at least there are physical remnants of my presence that my family can recognize. 

You know, like excavating evidence of civilization.