Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Tale of Sleeping Ugly, and Notes from Jury Duty.

I need my ugly sleep.

I must have fallen asleep by 7:00pm on Wednesday night.  I had beelined for the couch and was lying down for just a moment, my brain and my body completely drained from the day.  I didn't expect this kind of exhaustion.  No movie talks about how the jury in a trial is absolutely spent after a day in court.

I proceeded to conk out in bed with the light on.  It could have been worse - Sleeping Ugly is what I'll call it - when you are so unbelievably tired that you fall asleep without brushing your teeth, flossing, washing your face, taking out your contact lenses, etc.  Those nightly rituals that, if you forget to do them, will leave you feeling (and looking) like Sleeping Ugly.  

This week has been so exhausting.  Maybe I'm tired because I'm depressed.  Maybe I'm depressed because I'm on jury duty...?

It's 1:00am and I'm awake and starved.  I whipped out some smoked salmon and proceeded to make california rolls, slicing up some cucumber and avocado.  I proceeded to watch the Food Network and found out the best techniques for making French toast.  (You're curious now, aren't you?)  And then, after a few hours, I went back to sleep.  I brushed my teeth this time.

Some notes about jury duty:
1. You are not allowed to discuss the case with anyone.
2.  There are some great (!) places to eat downtown.
3. Riding the metro all the heck the way down the red line is quite tiring.
4. One of my ears hurts.  I think maybe a spider bit me.  Hoping it's not a tick and lyme disease...
5. Jury duty leads to weird dreams and paranoia.
6. I hope I never get sued and that no one ever sues me.
7. I hope I am never a witness to a criminal act and then have to appear in court.
8. ***Genius Idea I keep forgetting to submit for the Jury Duty Suggestion Box: There should be FREE COFFEE and a HOT BREAKFAST provided for every day of jury duty service.***
9. I thought I'd stop clockwatching after I was done with college.
10.  Jury duty is like a lecture you can't get out of.  All day.  Monday through Friday.
11.  The biggest challenge about jury duty is staying awake.  And then, after that, paying attention.