Monday, July 19, 2010

Exchanging Digits, and COTW.

I gave a guy my number the other day.

I wasn't expecting to give my number to this particular guy. Even as we were exchanging numbers, the thought crossed my mind that I had no intention of calling him.

He walks past me, taps me lightly on the shoulder and calls, "Hit me up, girl!"

I'm mid-conversation with a friend,"Oh...yeah - "

Wait. What?

"Hit me up, girl?" Really? What am I, 17 ?

But anyway.

COTW
  • Guys that stop saying "Hit me up, girl!" after they graduate high school. What's the proper response, you say? Oh, I don't know, how about, "Excuse me, miss, I will give you a ring to see if you happen to be available."

    Actually, you don't even have to say anything as you're leaving. Just wave.

  • Shirt-and-tie-and-fitted vest-paired-with-jeans combo. Did I repeat this? Maybe. Spotted at a salsa club. Hot. Wow. Maybe I'm going for preppy again these days. (Note to dude that I danced with wearing the white polo shirt on - if you are literally dripping with sweat off of your face and brow, take a break! Dry off, man! Really, I'd rather you stop and take a breather before you pass out and I fall because we were mid-dip.

  • Another reminder: Guys that walk women to their cars.
    Went to drinks with a colleague. Was reminded that somehow, sometimes, somewhere, the work of a gentlemen, however deeply buried, can be WITNESSED. Shocking, I know.
    Had a bit of a faux pas when the guy offers to walk me to my car. I immediately respond: "No, it's okay." He asks a couple more times after I insist a couple more times that it was fine, I was only a block or so away.
    Clearly, I wasn't going to win this one.
    So we start walking and I admit, "Okay, well, I lied. I'm actually three or four blocks."

    Sometimes being fiercely independent can backfire on you a little bit.