Monday, March 15, 2010

Broken Glass, Everywhere! No Pain, No Gain. Again.

Ok - maybe the title is a bit dramatic. I do enjoy that Kweli song, though.

I knocked a glass onto my kitchen floor and it shattered. As I stood there, just staring at the broken pieces on the floor, I didn't move quickly to clean it up - I just stood and stared for a moment at the mess before me. The analogy hit a little too close to home. While in my home. I'm still finding and cleaning up shards of glass even a few days later.

No Pain, No Gain. Again.
I went running at the park - blue skies, sunny day. A thin, petite woman in a long-sleeved shirt and sweat pants whisked past me in the opposite direction, her face intense in focused concentration.

I returned to the same park the very next morning. I see the same woman, decked in full magenta track suit, this time carrying two small weights. I need to up my game, I thought. I immediately break into a run.
When you're not a runner, and you don't run on a regular basis, you get those sharp side stitches of stabbing pain; basically, a cramp. So I'm running. It's a beautiful yet cool morning - I'm passing the golfers on the right. My lungs begin to burn but I am running through the pain.

I tried yoga once with a friend - it didn't feel like I was doing anything that could possibly pass as sufficient exercise - we were just breathing. I think I'd rather pound the pavement. Feel the pain. Yep, real normal.