Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ginger Ale, Cupcake Thoughts, and Preparing for Famine.

I like to keep ginger ale handy for those moments that arise when my stomach feels queasy; it calms everything down. I wish there was something else that you could drink - something sweet and bubbly, but that had a calming effect on all the events in your life.
I don't even drink soda. I do drink tons of water - abnormally large amounts.

I've enjoyed a time of harvest - "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage."

Now, I'm preparing for a time of famine - you know, just to be prepared. I went to Whole Foods to buy some $4 yogurt, and when I couldn't find it, ended up spending $10 on ONE big jar of yogurt instead. I cringed but I had already picked it out and gotten in line - there was no turning back.

I'm thinking about cupcakes as I write this. Yummy Cupcakes on Magnolia Blvd. has this Fudge cupcake with the perfect chocolate frosting, light enough and just sweet enough, and a dollop of chocolate ganache in the middle. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Who knew that, as a kid, the same trivial things in life are what would linger on in your thoughts as an adult? I can't remember the last time I had one of these - I should wait until the next special occasion, or birthday, or - the next time there is a reason to celebrate. My sweet tooth kicks in at the end of the day, at the end of a dinner - I just need something sweet in my life. Like my affinity for hot sauces. Sometimes you need to add some spice, and sometimes, you just need to sweeten things up.

But beware, fine dining. Must cut back on the fancy. I didn't realize I was fancy - shocker, I know. There will be exceptions, I am sure. Once Trader Joe's has their sundried tomato spread back in stock again, though...