Friday, August 13, 2010

Five Honeys.

Went shopping on Melrose the other day.  RED FLAG, right?  If you cruise by this little section just by La Cienega Blvd., you might have seen me.  I was in that store.  You know.  Marc Jacobs.

Now, I had been walking around, maybe for about 10 or 15 minutes, on this particular occasion, looking for a handbag to replace my very beaten (and slightly abused) one.  You know.  All in line with the "fresh start", and adding a new "spring to my step" mantra for the season.  Anyway - couldn't find a single thing I liked.  Everyone's picky, right? 

Well - except for one thing.  I came across a purse at Marc Jacobs.  No price tags are visible hanging off of any of their bags - they are all lined up, high along the walls of rows upon rows of shelves.  I zero in on one purse.  I check with the salesperson in the store and find out that the bag is four hundred some bucks.  I check on zappos and it's listed at $428 [Photo: www.zappos.com], so including tax the grand total would be $469.73.  Nearly five honeys?!  Something inside me cringes - stemming from either my middle-class upbringing or my hardworking professional life.  I put the bag back on the shelf.  Hmm...what could $500 buy me...?  A refrigerator.  A roundtrip plane ticket.  A vacation.  God knows I'd rather spend my hard-earned dough seeing the world rather than tote some designer duds in the same zip code.

But then again...if you have the means...?