Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This Just In: My Mother Is More Spontaneous Than Me.

My mother has called me every day for the past three days.

When we finally connect, she tells me all about her spontaneous day in nyc, walking around with her friend (my best friend's mom, coincidentally), and getting lost and going to restaurants. Completely impromptu and only decided the morning of a certain Saturday. I think she wanted to brag this piece of news to me, hence the daily calls.

My mother's friend calls her up. This is their conversation. Or, at least, how I'd imagine it would've gone.

My Mother's Friend: So, you doing anything?
My Mother: Right now? No.
MMF: Where are you?
MM: At home. Wait - you called me.
MMF: Yeah. What are your plans for today?
MM: Oh. No plans. I'm not working today - the first time in a long time.
MMF: I'm going to go to New York to visit my son and hang out. Well, more just to hang out. Maybe catch a show.
MM: I don't know. How are we going to get there?
MMF: Meet me at ten o'clock. I'll drive us to Jersey and we can take the train from there.
MM: Do you know your way around there?
MMF: Yeah. I been there.
MM: Oh. Okay, then. Let's go.

Cut back to: me talking to my mother on the phone.

My Mother: So we hung out, we went to Broadway, but all the tickets were sold out or the shows were too late, except for Blue Man Group, so we went to Blue Man Group.
Me: Oh. Did you like it?
My Mother: Yeah. Was fun.
Me: Thank God you have friends. Otherwise you'd never get out of the house.