Saturday, August 7, 2010

Noncommittal.

Sometimes I get into these phases where I don't want to make any plans. Leave things alone, stop all the planning and scheduling and just relax.

I'm sitting in my apartment, staring at the annual car registration renewal notice sitting in front of me. It is due on the 16th of this month, the hefty bill was actually even higher last year. The irony that even if you plan not to use your car for a year, you still have to fork over 18 bucks.

Paying the $195 tab means that I am committing to living in L.A. for another year, to living, working, and writing in this town for another twelve months of my life.

Why so noncommittal, you ask?
Good question. These days I keep feeling a bit more ambivalence when it comes to making plans. I'd like to have a bit more - flexibility, independence, freedom, I suppose. Perhaps there is a touch of the bohemian spirit left in me. Or, maybe there's something of the quarterlife crisis that remains within me as time goes by and aging refuses to be ignored. The blur of weddings and engagements surrounding me, the world that dares to continue turning while you're standing still - reorganization of life priorities ensues.

If I accept a free new cell phone from Verizon wireless, it means I'm committing myself to two more years of their services.  But what if I want to terminate our relationship?  I mean, who knows if I will still be happy with our agreement for two whole years?  And if I don't honor our contract, that means I am penalized with a sucker-punch pricetag.  Smells like a prenup.

I like Verizon, don't get me wrong.  I just don't know if I love Verizon.  So - I don't want to make a commitment if I'm not sure.

24 Hour Fitness: You seem pretty cool and all, but I'm just not looking for anything serious right now.

As for that month-to-month apartment lease...not going to worry about it for the time being, will just take one of those giant leaps of faith.